Lillian Yeager

Lillian Yeager was truly an angel to all who came in contact with. This page has been set up for her family and friends to write memories of her. Please click on any comment section to leave a memory. Dr. Lillian Yeager December 23, 1943 - May 23, 2006

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Please Leave Your Memories

I created this website so that my mother's friends and family could post messages and memories about my wonderful, giving mother. Please click on 'comments' anywhere on the website to leave a message or just browse things left by others.

20 Comments:

  • At May 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have been asked to share some memories of Lillian from the viewpoint of the people who have worked and taught with her. Some of us have only known her for a few years, others for decades, but our images of Lillian include these:

    How we laughed with Lillian at a Bill Cosby tape during her first round of chemotherapy. We would watch the video and eat frozen fruit bars. We were so raucous, the nurse closed the door to our room so we wouldn't disturb the "sick" people.

    Lillian, standing triumphant and radiant atop a telephone pole in an Outward Bound challenge course for persons with cancer.

    Lillian dancing atop a table with a vibrant purple boa at an IUS Nursing Student Association Mardi Gras Party.

    Lillian on the runway at the Annual IUS Staff Style Show, a model with flair.

    Lillian's genourous and non-judgmental approach to life and work.

    Lillian dressed as Whoopi Goldberg in a Sister Act reprise for a fund raiser for IUS.

    Lillian, the champion for students; she initiated a mentoring program for sophomore students. Lillian's knack for asking the right questions when there were student issues and concerns.

    Lillian providing nourishment during faculty retreats, even when food wasn't palatable to her.

    Lillian used her experience with cancer to become a stronger person. And as M'Lynn says, "Life goes on", we will just have to continue to teach, advise and mentor without our Steel Magnolia.

     
  • At May 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I met your Mother last summer in Krogers. We found that we had a lot in common. My Mother and she were both nursing graduates from Tuskegee. Given time, we would have developed a deep friendship

    Katheryn D. Higgins

     
  • At May 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Michelle,

    I was so saddened to hear of your mother's passing. My best memories of her are from when you and I were students at Carolina, she and my dad would alternate road trips to Chapel Hill to bring us home from school. When it was her turn she would drive down, load us up in the car and get right back on the road! She was a courageous woman and by my understanting she was an inspiration to many people. Her presence will be missed, but her spirit will continue to live in those whose lives were enriched by knowing her.

     
  • At June 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mrs. Yeager left a tremendous impact on the lives of others as she lived her life fully, openly, and gracefully. Indeed, the recollection of her selflessness, kind deeds and words is the celebration of her life's purpose. Forever always, may you be remembered, celebrated, and inspire our life's journey!
    peace,
    Jj

     
  • At June 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My wife Cecilia and I met Lillian and Steve Yeager in 1976. The introduction was arranged by mutual friend Laura Leon. Cecilia, petite, was newly arrived from Ecuador and pregnant with our first child Oliver. Lillian generously offered (and we accepted!) to lend us the maternity outfits she had worn in the months leading up to Michelle's birth. Staying on in Louisville, we have not been oblivious to Lillian's many achievements and prominence in public life. Strongest in our memories, however, will be her private, generous hospitality, welcoming two new arrivals and the third arrival soon to come.

    Phil Ardery Jr.

     
  • At June 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Our Lillian:
    A May Mourning & Timeless Tribute
    5-31-06

    I met Lillian Martin Yeager in our first Ed.D. cohort class. I remember being drawn to her serene centeredness. As we progressed through the program, Lillian was a wonderful companion on that journey. Lillian was always present—both physically and spiritually. She was dependable—the one you were glad to be doing group projects with because you knew she would pull her weight (and yours, too, in a pinch). She truly practiced being a team player. She was competent and confident, yet unassuming. She was smart, thoughtful, gracious, and fun. Lillian fully lived those too-often-trite terms of embracing diversity, pursuing justice, and doing good through her connections, commitments, and character. I was privileged to walk part of life’s path with “Dr. Lillian.”

    On this last day of May Mourning, sadness at our loss of Lillian’s physical presence washes over me. Yet, at the same time, I am inspired by Lillian’s life—and her quiet, exuberant invitation to embrace life. Lillian lived—in the flesh! Though her physical body has been laid to rest, her spirit is resilient, permeating, ever-living. As I reflect on Lillian, I am compelled to honor her life and spirit.

    So, I decided to live today and do important things. Today, I decided to savor the moments; contact some people I love; enjoy the sunshine; and plant some flowers. I decided to plant zinnias and marigolds. Zinnias and marigolds remind me of Lillian. They are hardy, colorful flowers that grow in myriad climates. They are beautiful and bold, with unpretentious elegance. The planting instructions say that they are “easy to grow and bloom reliably”—like Lillian. Zinnias and marigolds remind me of mothers; I remember my mother planting them. Part of Lillian’s character was her maternal nature. She mentored; she nurtured; she mothered. And, her lovely daughter, Michelle, was her heart.

    Oh, dear Dr. Lillian, mother, daughter, sister, friend, mentor, teacher, nurse, minister, leader, servant, belly-dancer, Tina Turner devotee, & Phenomenal Woman: May we honor your life and spirit in our savored moments. May we love to live and live to love. May we plant flowers and water them with our tears of sorrow and joy. May we enjoy the blooms and blossoms of today. We do not know what tomorrow brings. Yet, we have more assurance that the path ahead is good and gracious, because you are there waiting at the end—and the beginning.

    Peace & Love,
    Dr. Erlene Grise-Owens
    Ed.D. Cohort, 2000

     
  • At June 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lillian and I served on Frazier Rehab and Southern Indiana Rehab Hospital boards for the last 12 years. Lillian and I would always be the "single" people at the hospitals' social events so we quickly became "food & beverage buddies" because we were always meeting to eat and drink. Lillian was a class act as exemplified by her appearance, her demeanor and her intelligence. While Lillian had a lot to give and gave so much in a gracious, quiet manner, she never was one that wanted attention. She was extremely proud of her daughter as most parents are but it was obvious that the relationship was more than the mother/daughter relationship. All who knew Lillian Yeager are the richer and those who did not have the opportunity to meet her has missed alot. Lillian will be missed but never forgotten.......Ben Jackson, "F&B Buddy"

     
  • At June 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are saddened to learn of your loss. Lillian was a lovely woman and will be missed greatly. We will keep your family in our prayers.


    Alan and Kim Clinkinbeard (Greenville, IN) - 2006-05-25

     
  • At June 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Michelle, Your mother was such a strong and caring woman. I am so sorry for your loss. Sara


    Sara Haswell Westerman (Louisville, KY) - 2006-05-25

     
  • At June 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Michelle & Family, Your mom meant the world to me and she will always have a special place in my heart. I learned from her, I admired her courage and truly valued our friendship.


    Suzanne Caraway (Louisville, KY) - 2006-05-25

     
  • At June 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Michelle and family and friends of Lillian, I will be unable to celebrate Lillian's life with you but know how deeply I felt her life. She was truly supportive to both Terry and I during our battle with his cancer. My prayers are for you. Sheila


    Sheila Yule (Boulder, CO) - 2006-05-25

     
  • At June 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Michelle your mom is an incredible woman. I still have the stuffed animal of the hush puppy that she gave me when I was in the hospital. It always makes me smile when I look at it. Thanks for sharing your mom with everyone.


    La\'Toi Finley (Charlotte, NC) - 2006-05-25

     
  • At June 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Michelle, I am so saddened by the loss of your mother. Though she's no longer physically here, you will keep her alive with your memories. I did not know your father had died, also. You are loved by many people. Our thoughts and prayers will help you be strong. Mary Ellen


    Mary Ellen Baker (Louisville, KY) - 2006-05-25

     
  • At June 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Michelle, I am so saddened by the loss of your mother. Though she's no longer physically here, you will keep her alive with your memories. I did not know your father had died, also. You are loved by many people. Our thoughts and prayers will help you be strong. Mary Ellen


    Mary Ellen Baker (Louisville, KY) - 2006-05-25

     
  • At June 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    On behalf of myself and my family, I would like to express our deepest sympathies. I never had the opportunity to meet Lillian but she extended a quiet hand of friendship to my mother during her fight with ovarian cancer over the previous two years. It meant so much to us and our mom to have met and visited with Lillian. We are so very fortunate that people like Lillian are in the world, focusing on the needs of others so unselfishly even while struggling in their own lives. May we all pray for a cure to this illusive disease so that we may enjoy the company of these extrordinary people longer.


    Maria Anderson (Louisville, KY) - 2006-05-25

     
  • At June 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lillian was someone you were drawn to and from the first moment was naturally and comfortably your friend like you had known her for years. Her presence was strong even if you did not see her for awhile. WHen you did see her it was the instant closeness, humor fun, and joy. You realize now how much you missed by letting those in between times go too long sometimes in the subconscious believe that there would always be time. But she was and is a gift for everyone. One of the few people I know who could touch so many from so many varied paths. We miss you but you are such a strong and good spirit that you will be with us always. Thank God.

     
  • At June 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so sorry for your loss. Your mother was an outstanding person and I know you miss her very much. I was just about your age when my mom died from cancer so I know it is difficult. You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

     
  • At June 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    May 23rd is a day of real importance to many. It was my parents wedding day in 1916. It is Helen Jones' birthday. It is the day in 2004 when my only sister, Katherine, died. And it is the day love, loving Lillian died after such a full, contributive life. Michelle, you are in our thoughts and conversations with much love. It was about 30 years ago that we met your mother. She was so kind - so like er to pass out grown baby items to our grandson, Oliver, who was born in January 1977. A few years later my husband, Phil, introduced Lillian to the Board of the Frazier Rehab where she served so many years. I was so hopeful Lillian's funeral gave you some comfort. The presence of so many adminiring, caring people must have helped. I sat next to two young women who work with you. I regret I could not come to the afternoon reception to meet your uncles and see your grandmother, to whom I send love. Try not to forget breakfast. With love,

     
  • At June 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lillian, My Mentor, My friend!
    I don't know where to begin... She was teaching Management at IUSE when we first met. She mentored me through 4 years of undergrad and 2 of grad school. If it were not for her I would not be who I am today!
    She was a beautiful, loving, knowledgeable, christian lady and will not be forgotten! I remember my first IV on a "real"patient. She was there to supervise. The gentleman asked how many IV's I had started. I replied "I can't count the number, ugh." Thankfully, I did get the stick and the patient was impressed. I told him that I couldn't tell him how many IV's I had started because he was my first! Dr. Yeager, the patient and I laughed a lot! She was always fun! She always had time for a phone call to chat.
    I will continue to mentor nursing students in her memory. I just hope I can do 1/2 the job that she did for me!
    Sincerely, Leah D. Phillips-Black RN, MSN, CNRN, ARNP

     
  • At September 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Michelle, after picking up a copy of "Today's Woman" magazine recently I saw the article about "A Quiet Angel" and was totally surprised to find it was about my Lillian Yeager. I did not know until then that your mother had passed. I want to let you know that she was truly an angel. I met your mother many years ago, while working at Clark Memorial Hospital Education Department. This was shortly after your father had passed and even though she was going through so much at that time, she still shared that "contagious" laugh and had such a beautiful outlook on life. Your mother and I had many discussions about "our" beautiful daughters named Michelle, as I also have a daughter named Michele. I unfortunately did not see or talk with you mother as much I would have liked after that, but when we did see each other there was always that big smile, contagious laugh and an embrace catching up on what has been happening in our lives.
    Michelle I don't have to tell you what a beautiful angel for a mother you were blessed to have, because from the many comments I have read on this site, you already know that. Please take care of yourself and always remember that she will be here in spirit with all of us who were blessed to know her.
    Dolly Bricker
    Clark Memorial Hospital

     

Post a Comment

<< Home